By Daniel Dauda, Jos


A chieftain of the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) in Plateau State and aspirant of the upcoming Bassa/Jos North Federal Constituency bye-election scheduled by the Independent National electoral commission (INEC) on 26th February, 2022, Hon. Chindo Gona has refuted claims that Governor Simon Lalong has anointed candidate.

Gona who is the immediate past chairman of Bassa Local Government Council said any aspirant who is parading himself that Governor Lalong sent him "that person is laying and at the same time deceiving himself."

He release the boom shell while speaking to our correspondent in Jos the state capital on Saturday, following rumors making round that Governor Simon Lalong has anointed the immediate past Commissioner of commerce and industry, Hon. Joseph Abbey Aku as sole Candidate for APC in the forthcoming Bassa/Jos North Federal Constituency bye-election.

According to him, " well, even those who are saying that the Governor is coming with a candidate I don't believe that. His Excellency Governor Simon Lalong has not assigned anybody or supported anybody to come out and contest this election. So whoever is saying that is deceiving himself. I know that day the delegates in this election God is going to used them.

"And where His Excellency will have a say probably he will call all of us and say please I want this or that. I want consensus and this is the person all of us are going to support and we will sub to that.

"But for now nothing have been said by His Excellency and somebody going round talking about His Excellency which he has not said anything. His Excellency had not talk anything for us the aspirants that this is his choice. He had never said so".

Hon. Chindo Gona said as an aspirant who is coming from the grassroot he is familiar with the terrain and peculiarities within Jos North/Bassa Constituency and if given the opportunity to be at the green chamber he will focus attention on peace and security of the constituents.

"Really, what motivates me to aspire for this position is what I am interested for, is for Bassa/ Jos North to have peace! And my own is just to embark on peace because I want restore peace in Bassa and Jos North Constituency because that is my concern.

"When I get there I will make sure I collaborate with who ever that is in the stool of Government on the Plateau State we will put ourselves together, myself and the Governor to ensure peace reign in Bassa and Jos North Local Government Areas and that is my main concern for now because is when there is peace before you can go about doing business, it is with peace that your children can go to school, it is with peace that you can visit your brothers and sisters or well wishes and without peace you can't do nothing. So peace is paramount and that is what I am after and that is my primary assignment when I get there", he stated.

However, our correspondent learned that about seven aspirants under APC are jostling for ticket in the upcoming party primaries expecting to hold soon.